Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Thursday Thirteen #6

(This image provided by Samulli.)
It's Thursday! This week's Thursday Thirteen is 13 Places We'd Like to Visit (in no particular order).
1. Ireland: I've been to Ireland twice; once for about a week with my parents, and once for about 7 weeks with a group of teenagers on a missions trip when I was 15. I absolutely love Ireland, and Shawn has never been there! We'd love to go for a couple of weeks, and just wander from town to town, maybe riding bicycles. :)
2. Italy: Again, I've been to Italy 3 times now. Twice for brief visits with my parents, and once for about 10 days with a group from my church. Italy is one of my favorite places, and I'd love to take Shawn there. I love the combination of history, religion, and wonderful food and wine!
3. Scotland: Neither of us have been here, but I from pictures I've seen, it's beautiful!
4. Peru: Shawn would love to go here for the mountains; I'd love to see Machu Picchu!
5. Chile: This is another of Shawn's big desires...to go hiking in the mountains of Chile. I think it looks beautiful, too, and I wouldn't mind doing a little hiking there, too. We've also noticed that we love just about every wine we've ever tried from Chile!
6. Belize: I've wanted to go to Belize ever since I did a project on the country for Spanish class in high school (which is ironic, considering that English is the country's official language, not Spanish). Shawn wouldn't mind a visit to this gorgeous country, either. :)
7. Australia: During college, Shawn took a year off. He bought an open-ended ticket to Australia, and flew there with nothing but $1000 and the name of a rugby team. He stayed a year. I've always wanted to go to Australia, so I'm really hoping he'll take me someday.
8. New Zealand: This is another country that we would both love to see. We're actually kind of hoping to go there for the Rugby World Cup in 2011, but money might prohibit us from going then. But we both think it's a fascinating country!
9. Jamaica: This is where we went for our honeymoon, and we'd both really love to go back. It has gorgeous beaches, but it also has lots of other fun things to do. Ideally, we'd love to be able to afford to stay at the Rockhouse Hotel. We actually called to look into going there for our honeymoon, but it was booked solid for months.
10. Hawaii: Shawn went to Hawaii with Jarid and another friend of theirs a number of years ago, but I've never been. I've heard nothing but good things about the place, so I'd love to go! Shawn has fond memories, too. :)
11. Costa Rica: I'll be honest...I'm not sure why Costa Rica makes our list. In other words, I don't really know much about the country, and neither of us has been there. But we agree that it's a place that makes our list.
12. Argentina: This is another place that Shawn would love to go to for the mountains, and I'd be happy to go with him!
13. Alaska: I think that there are things for both Shawn and me here. We could go hiking together, and if we were to go in June, then Shawn climb bigger mountains while I attend the Midnight Sun Baseball Classic (a game held every year on June 21st, with the first pitch at 10:30pm, using only natural light).

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of all you've listed, I've only seen Hawai'i, so I'd be with you in making nearly the same list of places to visit.

My 13 is up now, if you'd like to take a break from your everyday chores...come on over for a visit, and have a great Thursday.

Sharon said...

I love your list and want to go to many of the same places! Australia is a big one for us, and New Zealand.
I've been to Hawaii, Ireland and Italy. Loved them all. Ireland is my favorite country. Did you go to the Dingle Peninsula? If not, I suggest it!

Mia Celeste said...

Yep, I'd like to visit all these places too. Happy TT!

Tricia said...

I haven't been to one place on your list, it's obvious I've got to get traveling.

Tabbikat's Thoughts

marcia@joyismygoal said...

I am gointo Argentina next year and Europe in a few years

Anonymous said...

Oooh squeee!! When do you think you'll be able to go? There are so many people who travel here. Do either of you work for Frontier? I know so many people who do so they can get tickets.

I hope you get a chance to do each of these trips!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, great list. My daughter is going to Jamaica for her honeymoon in August! I'm happy for her. Happy TT

soleil said...

ireland is gorgeous. i've been twice as well. i would love to go to alaska as well. it would be awesome to see the northern lights. happy tt!

Anonymous said...

Do go to Belize. I went a couple of years ago and loved it!

Nicola O. said...

Mmmm, nothing like a little wanderlust here at the tail end of a brutal winter. I notice a lot of warm-weather destinations on your list. ;)

Peter Galvin said...

Carrie, I was trying to track you and Shawn down... As a new Irishman just moved to Boulder Co become the new US Rugby coach. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0306/1224242372809.html

Please have Shawn give me a call as I have lots of updates to share. 303-hi-peter

P.S. fun banana bread recipe posting!