Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Friday Night Knitting Club

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs, 2007 (345 pp.)

This is the story of a group of women who become close friends after starting a knitting club in a yarn shop in New York City. Really, knitting has very little to do with the story, although after reading the book, I am thinking that I should hurry up and finish the crochet blanket I'm working on and move on to learning to knit. :)

More than being about knitting, the book is about friendships, family, love, and "finding yourself." It's about learning who you are as an individual, regardless of what stage in life you may be in. Reading the book was a reminder that I'm proud of the things I've accomplished so far in my life, and it was a reminder to continue to set goals for myself. It also made me wish that I had a group of girlfriends nearby to just sit around and chat with. I do have lots of friends that I love dearly, despite the fact that we don't talk nearly as much as we used to. But it would be really nice to have a group of girlfriends who I live near and who gets together on a regular basis. I haven't really had that since college.

I'd recommend this book. I thought it was funny and endearing, and it also made me cry.

***************************************

Total number of books read in 2009: 12

Total number of pages read in 2009: 5433

No comments: