Thursday, July 3, 2008

Yankee Baseball

The idea for our NYC/Boston trip was mine, and the entire motivation for going was baseball. For a long time now, I've really liked the idea of trying to see a baseball game in every Major League park. However, I've never really put much effort into doing this. Until this summer, my grand total of stadiums was...two. Jacob's Field in Cleveland and Coors Field in Colorado. I used to have Pittsburgh on my list, but they tore down Three Rivers Stadium and I haven't been back to Pittsburgh since.

2008 is the final year for Yankee Stadium. I really wanted to be able to say that I had been to that park, where so many amazing people had played and where so many historic events had happened. So that's why we did our trip this year. Since Jarid is a huge Yankees fan but had also never been to the stadium, he and Sarah jumped at the chance to come with us.

Bright and early on Sunday, June 22nd, we hopped on the B-line and got off at 162nd St/Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. We got there before the gates opened, so we had plenty of time to wander around and watch batting practice. I have to say...Yankee Stadium is ugly. No offense to any Yankees fans. It's just what happens when the last major remodel to the stadium is in the 1970s. The inside looks a lot better.

In the middle of the game, there was a 56 minute rain delay. It was actually rather entertaining to watch the grounds crew struggle with the tarp since the wind was blowing it so much. Fortunately, our seats were under the overhang for the upper deck, so we stayed dry even though people 3 rows ahead of us were soaked.

After the rain, the sun came out and the game resumed. We were able to see Ken Griffey Jr. hit home run #601, which was nice to see. I was also pleasantly surprised by the Yankees fans. They were really into the game from the first pitch. They were cheering for a Reds' out in the first inning like it was an out in the 9th. The Yankees ended up winning, 4-1. And I'll admit...I didn't even mind that they won. :)

On Monday, we went back to the stadium for the tour. We were able to go into the press box, and we spent some time in Monument Park. There are plaques and monuments to lots of great, old Yankees players, and there are even plaques for each of the 3 popes who have said Mass in Yankee Stadium.

After Monument Park, we were allowed to walk around the warning track to the Yankees dugout. I was surprised that they let us sit in there! We don't have any pictures of it, though, since Shawn's camera died while I was taking pictures in Monument Park. I'm sure Jarid and Sarah took enough pictures for all of us, though! :)

No comments: