Friday, July 25, 2008

Blessings

Last night, I was reading my book (A Long Way Down, by Nick Hornby), and one of the characters said something that made me think. She was wondering if it's possible that for every unhappiness in life, there's an equal but opposite unhappiness. I started thinking about some things that bother or irritate me and wondering what the "opposite unhappiness" would be. When I started thinking like that, I realized that I have quite a few things to be thankful for. Here are a few:

1. I'm afraid of encountering a mountain lion while I'm hiking in the park near my apartment. I am blessed to have lived in such a gorgeous mountain community for the last 5 years! I am surrounded by God's beautiful creation, and I have the privilege to enjoy aspects of nature that most people in the world probably never get to see. The fact that mountain lions even live here is amazing to me.

2. I miss Shawn during the week when he's working in Seattle...or when he doesn't come home on a given weekend (like this weekend). I am blessed to have a wonderful, loving husband! I love talking to him and spending time with him, and he always makes me feel special and loved.

3. I'm stressed and a bit nervous about our upcoming move to the Seattle area. I am blessed to have a husband who is dedicated to providing for me and our future family. I am also blessed to be in a situation where moving to be closer to where he works is a financial possibility.

4. I wish I were more physically fit and at least a few pounds lighter. I am blessed to have enough food to eat every day! There are so many people in this world who don't understand what "healthy eating" is because they simply have no choice but to eat whatever small bits of food they can find.

5. I hate all the horse poop that I have to walk over/around on the trail when I hike. I am blessed with the physical ability to hike those trails! I am capable of putting on shoes, going outside, and walking around with nothing to assist me. I am also blessed with living in a safe area where members of the community look out for each other, and where I don't live in fear of being kidnapped, raped, or shot at if I'm alone.

6. I spend more time than I should online, and I get irritated with myself for that. I am blessed to have internet access in my home, which allows me a much easier way to keep in touch with family and friends who are spread out all over the country! I am also blessed to have so many friends that I want to stay online chatting with them and sending them things!

7. I am irritated by certain politicians and political agendas. I am blessed to live in a country with a democratic process! I am blessed to live in a country where we are allowed to disagree with our government and politicians, where we can argue with others about what we believe would be the best course of action for our nation. I am blessed to live in a country where we can do these things without fear for our lives.

8. I am irritated by the "slanted" media coverage of so many things. I am blessed to have received an education that allows me to critically view/read/listen to the media and reach my own conclusions. I am also blessed with the intellectual capacity to think and reason for myself.

No comments: