Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fenway Park

As I mentioned in a previous post, the main motivation for going on our NYC/Boston trip was baseball. I thought it would be really fun to get the two most historic parks in one trip. So we did Yankee Stadium with Jarid and Sarah, and then Shawn and I did Fenway Park together when we were in Boston.

Our Fenway night started off with a bang...a huge thunderstorm! Because it was raining so hard, we decided not to leave as early as we had planned. I just didn't want to deal with driving in that storm! Unfortunately, the weather made normally bad traffic even worse. Even though we were only staying about 10-15 miles from Fenway, traffic was literally stop-and-go the entire way into the city. It took us about 2 hours to get there and park the car! Fortunately, the rain also delayed the start of the game, so we really only missed the first inning and a half.

The stadium itself was great. Even Shawn was impressed with the entrance on Yawkey Way. Per my friend Kurt's instructions, we bought a bag of peanuts from a street vendor before going inside.
Turns out, we had to walk to the other side of the stadium to find our seats, but we didn't mind. I bought a "Fenway Frank" (which reminded me a lot of a "Friendly Frank"...), and then we started the looooong climb to our seats. We were definitely in the nosebleeds for this stadium visit, but it was still a great experience. I'm willing to chalk it up to the group of people we happened to be sitting near, but I was a bit disappointed by the Red Sox fans. Most of them really couldn't seem to care less about what was happening in the game until the 8th inning, when the Sox came from behind to take the lead. Then everyone was really into it.


Overall, it was a great experience, and I'm glad that we did it!

No comments: