Monday, July 28, 2008

Afternoon Tea

This afternoon, I spent few hours with Sarah and her mother-in-law, Claire. Sarah and I had been talking for awhile about going to "afternoon tea" sometime this summer, and Jarid asked if we would consider inviting his mom to go with us. Of course!

So the three of us went to the House of Commons in Denver. We each had a pot of tea, and we shared a huge stack of finger sandwiches, miniature scones with cream, petit fours, English "biscuits," and even chocolate covered strawberries. It was wonderful! I even decided to broaden my horizons and tried a couple sandwiches that I normally would assume I wouldn't like. I have to admit that the cucumber sandwich wasn't too bad, but I didn't love the texture (not sure what else was on it...cream cheese, maybe?). And I actually liked the curried chicken sandwich! Honestly, though, everything I ate was good.

After tea, we stopped by the Savory Spice Shop. Just walking past, you could smell all of the wonderful spices! When we went in, we were greeted by a worker who explained that we could smell and taste every spice or spice blend in the store. They have things in the store that I didn't know exist. I believe that they grind most (if not all) of the spices there in the store, so everything is super fresh, and they also have created a lot of various spice blends. When you know what you want, you can just tell a woman working there, and she'll put the amount in a bag or a bottle for you. In this area, they also have recipe cards that you can take that explain good ways to use that particular spice. I'm not a cook, but this store made me want to be one. We also found out that the store will be featured on The Food Network next Tuesday evening! It's on the show "Road Tested with the Neelys", which airs at 9:30pm EST.

No comments: