Thursday, August 28, 2008

Things I Learned Today

Did you hear that there was an earthquake in Vancouver, BC, this morning? It was 5.8 on the Richter scale. Did you know that Vancouver is only about 140 miles away from Seattle? Yeah...I had heard somewhere before that Seattle is technically in an earthquake area. I did not know until today that it's common enough that a lot of people in the Seattle area keep "earthquake preparedness kits" in their homes. I also did not know that on February 28, 2001, Seattle had an earthquake of 6.8 on the Richter scale! Great. I finally learn how to deal with a blizzard, and now I have to learn how to deal with an earthquake.


Also today, I learned about a job that's going to be posted in the next week or two. It's not a teaching job, but it would be working with students in a small, private college and helping them with their financial aid. I think it would be a nice change of pace, and it would certainly pay better than subbing! I have a bit of an "in," so we'll see what happens.





And of course, tonight was the event Democrats all over the U.S. had been waiting for over the last few months. Barack Obama gave his acceptance speech at Invesco Field at Mile High (not Mile High Stadium, by the way...that was torn down years ago). After listening to it, I have to say that Obama can give a good speech; you have to give him that. A lot of what he said sounded great. Now that we all know that he is, once and for all, the Democratic candidate for President, I really hope that people take the time to really find out exactly what Obama stands for and what his plans are. I don't want this to turn into a blog about politics (there are already enough of those, many of which are written by people who know a lot more about the subject than I do), but I hope that people take this election very seriously. Like I said, Obama can give a good speech. But can he really do what he says he wants to? Do we really want him to do the things he says he's going to do? And don't worry...I'll ask the same questions of McCain. I hope you do, too.

No comments: