Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Old Dresser


This is a picture of the dresser that my parents bought for me when I was in, like, 3rd grade. At one point, I had the matching canopy bed, and I still have (and use) the matching desk. Now that I'm married (and almost 30...not 8), I'd really like to get rid of this dresser.

A few weeks ago, I posted it on Craigslist. I had a number of people contact me about it, but despite the fact that I described it as a "girl's dresser," they were all apparently expecting something more (wider, taller, better quality materials). It didn't sell.

Today, I managed to get it into Shawn's car. I have to admit that I was rather proud of myself for being able to get it out of our apartment, down the hall, into the elevator, out into the parking lot, and then lifting it up into the back of Shawn's SUV...all by myself. :) Once it was in the car, I called our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore to find out what times they accept donations. They have closed. So I confirmed online that Goodwill takes furniture and that our local center was still open. I drove over there, only to be told that only "stores" take furniture; not the donation center (which is what we have here). I have one more local option I can try tomorrow. If they can't/won't take it, I think I'll have to resort to re-posting it on Craigslist...free to whomever will come get it!

For a wedding present, my parents gave us this dresser from Crate and Barrel. There are quite a few matching pieces, so I'm hoping to convince Shawn that we should slowly start accumulating an actual "grown-up" bedroom set. :)

4 comments:

Bearess said...

Have you tried Salvation Army?

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

OOOO..... How I love that C&B dresser.....

Do you have a Freecycle in your area? Google it. Those are usually pretty great.

Stephanie said...

i'd take it! it could match our non-matching home so well!! haha (at least most of our bedroom furniture matches ;))

Bearess said...

What about the place where Kate works(ed?). Would they have any use for it for a mom who might need something? Or would they know someone who would?