Monday, June 2, 2008

My Last Day


A couple of weeks ago, Shawn and I made the big decision to move to Seattle. He's been working out there since November of 2005, and we're ready to finally live in the same state the majority of the time. I officially resigned from my teaching job a couple weeks ago, and today was my last day there.

I wonder if teaching is different from other professions when someone leaves. Wednesday and Thursday of last week were our final exams, so I said goodbye to my students then. But then I was still at school on Friday, cleaning out my room and finishing my grades. Since the English department at this school is really close (I think we spend more time together outside of school than most teachers do), we all went out to lunch last Friday. One of them bought me my lunch, and we all sort of said goodbye. One of my friends headed out to Kansas yesterday (where he's taking grad classes this summer), so we said our "official" goodbye.

But then, the rest of us were back at school this morning. I finished putting a few things in a box, and I did my official "room check out" and turned in my keys. It was a little weird closing my classroom door for the last time. It's been "my" room for the last 5 years, so knowing that would be the last time I'd close that door was a little strange. I didn't let myself linger, though...I knew I'd get overly emotional and start crying. :)

We also did our end-of-the-year breakfast, which is typically when the school also says goodbye to whoever will not be returning in the fall. It felt strange that I was one of the ones going up to get my "Matt Clagett original" ceramic bowl (one of the art teachers makes awesome pottery).

I don't think it's really hit me yet that I'm done. Right now, it just feels like I'm done for the summer, just like all the other teachers. The difference is just that I won't be going back. It probably won't really hit me until August 11th, when all my friends go back to their jobs, and I'm settling in to a new place in Seattle!

Well, whether my brain has grasped it or not, it is the end of an era. A lot has changed in my life over the last 5 years. And now I'm no longer a Cougar.

No comments: