Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Game 1

Last night was the first game of the 3 game series here in Denver between the Rockies and the Indians. Of course I went! A friend of mine was able to get me free tickets, so I was sitting in foul territory in left field, four rows off the field. It was great! I met up with a couple friends before the game, and while I was walking around Coors Field, it was so nice to see so many people wearing Indians gear!! It was like a little slice of home. :)Unfortunately, Paul Byrd, our starting pitcher, didn't have his best night. The guys who were sitting behind me were also Indians fans, and I overheard one of them say at the beginning of the game that Byrd would either throw a shut-out or would blow up. Apparently he chose the latter of the two options.

Fairly early in the game (the 3rd inning?), I saw my first ever inside-the-park home-run! I've been a baseball fan since I was a little kid, and this is the first time I've ever seen one (at least in person...I think I might've seen one on TV last year). The bad news, though, is that it was hit by one of the Rockies. :( Grady Sizemore misjudged the flight of the ball, and instead of catching it at the wall, the ball took a bad bounce off the centerfield wall. For some odd reason, the left fielder didn't go over to back up the play, so Sizemore had to chase down the ball himself. By the time he got it, Jeff Baker was already rounding third.

Oh well. As any fan of the Indians knows, you win some; you lose some. I'll be going to the game again tonight, sitting in pretty much the same spot. It's Laffey vs. Francis, so the Indians have a pretty good chance...Francis hasn't been great so far this year. I'm going to try to go a little early tonight, wearing my jersey and waving the rally towel that Mom and Dad got for me at one of the play-off games at Jacob's Field last year. Maybe I can get an autograph or two. :)

No comments: