Monday, May 5, 2008

Our Weekend

Shawn and I just spent a whirlwind weekend in Oakland. I flew there from Denver; he flew there from Seattle. He had carefully planned our flights so that we would arrive within 15 minutes of each other, but all that got thrown out the window when I discovered that my flight would be leaving Denver about 90 minutes late...due to bad weather somewhere out east that delayed the plane from leaving Orlando before it came to Denver!


We eventually both got to California, and Shawn's brother was nice enough to come pick us up. Shawn's 7-year old nephew was a trooper and tried to come meet us at the airport, too. But when we got in the car, he was so soundly asleep that I don't think a train could've made him wake up.


I'd never been to California before, so I was a bit surprised by a few things. First of all, I was expecting it to be really sunny. Frankly, it wasn't. Don't get me wrong...I did see the sun! But it wasn't bright, clear skies like in Colorado. It always seemed a bit hazy to me. Also, I always pictured California as being pretty flat. It's not! At least, not where I was. I was very surprised to see how hilly it is. (Of course, now that I think about it...that famous Hollywood sign is on a hill, isn't it?)


Our weekend was filled with somewhat random things. On Saturday, we went to watch Owen at karate practice. Then we all drove to an organic farm and picked strawberries. Saturday night, we spent time dipping said strawberries in chocolate. On Sunday morning, I had a glimpse of Berkley when we went to church for Owen's first communion (the main reason we went out this weekend). Then we spent Sunday afternoon at the first communion party. I don't think that either Shawn or I have spent much time around large groups of little kids, so that was an experience for us. I'll have to save some of those stories and experiences for a later blog. But I will comment...I was amazed to see how quickly any attempt to enforce rules went out the window when a pinata and candy is involved!

No comments: