Friday, January 2, 2009

San Francisco, Part Three

Happy New Year! Hopefully everyone had a fun, safe holiday and has gotten off to a good start in 2009. I don't really have very many exciting or unusual resolutions...pretty much things like drink more water, exercise more, eat less junk, and start reading through a weekly devotional book with Shawn.

I figured I should devote one more blog post to our trip to San Francisco. I've mentioned my friends from thenest.com on here on more than one occasion. When we knew we'd be going to the Bay area for Christmas, my friend Caroline and I were excited to meet each other! She and her husband actually live near Sacramento, but they were nice enough to come into San Francisco to meet us on Monday.

The four of us visited Alcatraz on Monday. The first thing that concerned me was getting there. I'm sure you know that Alcatraz is an island, so we had to take a boat to get there. I get motion sick extremely easily, but I forgot to take medicine for it. Fortunately, I had no problem with the boat this time! Yay! :) Once we arrived at "The Rock," we had to walk up to the actual prison. Part of our ticket price included an audio tour, so we were each given a headset and an audio device. It was really nice, actually, because the audio tour allowed all of the visitors to spread themselves out instead of getting stuck in a big group. You could also replay a portion of the tour if you missed something, and you could pause if it you wanted to take more time to look at something. Unfortunately, though, the audio tour means no tour guides who would want to be called Vicky. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you really must go watch So I Married an Axe Murderer...awesome movie, and probably the best ever filmed in San Francisco.)
Here are some of the pictures that we took of Alcatraz, and the last picture is of my friend Caroline and me.

2 comments:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

LMAO at Vicky.

I loved Alcatrez, but I'm kinda a history nerd. We took the last tour of the day and they kinda shoved us out. I wish we could have actually stayed longer and walked around more. =)

Carrie said...

Kim, we took the 12:45 tour, and we got the second to last boat back to the mainland. We were commenting that those later tours wouldn't have had much time to really explore the island. We definitely took our time and saw everything!