Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My New Challenge

Obviously, we're at the beginning of a new year, and this is the time that people start thinking of resolutions and things that they'd like to change. I'm not really big on resolutions, but I do like to use this time of year to try once again some of those things that I've attempted in the past. So far, I've done a good job of getting up earlier in the morning (before 9:00!), drinking more water, and getting more exercise.

In order to work on getting more exercise and losing a little weight, I began looking at various websites this weekend to find a little extra motivation. There are a couple health/fitness/shape up boards on the nest that I've been reading and posting on over the last few days. It's always nice to have other people to talk to who are pursuing the same goals. I've also been reading some articles on peertrainer.com. I've been using peertrainer to log my food intake since last summer (to some extent...I forget sometimes).

Somewhere along the line, I found a link to something I thought was interesting, and I've decided to add this to my list of goals for the year. So as of Sunday, I am participating in "The One Hundred Push Ups Program"!

You can click here to read about the program. I completed the initial push up test on Saturday, and I was able to do a grand total of 4 push ups. Yep. That's it. But to my credit, they were "normal" push ups...not the kind where you leave your knees on the ground. I started the official program on Monday...and following the "week 1, day 1" schedule, I was able to do 13 push ups. Assuming that I stick with it, I should eventually be able to do 100 push ups!

Frankly, I think it would be pretty impressive to be able to just drop and do 100 push ups. But I also think that doing push ups will be a great way to get my upper body and core muscles into better shape. After just one day on the program, I can already feel that muscles in my arms and back are a little sore. But I can also feel it in my abs, which is great (although that may have partially come from using my Wii Fit yesterday). I promise to keep you updated occasionally on my push up progress!

2 comments:

Emily Ann said...

Good job! I just completed Day 1 of this challenge, too. I'll probably blog about it tomorrow.

Bearess said...

You are a much better person than I. I vowed to eat "only what was necessary." And then there was fudge at the office. And I found it completely necessary. And good.