Thursday, January 8, 2009

Romp to Stomp Out Breast Cancer

Have you ever heard of the Tubbs Romp to Stomp Out Breast Cancer? According to their website: "Since 2003, Tubbs Snowshoe has partnered with local affiliates of Susan G Komen for the Cure to present the Tubbs Romp to Stomp Out Breast Cancer - a snowshoe walk series modeled after the highly successful Race for the Cure. Since then, the Romp to Stomp has raised nearly three quarters of a million dollars for Susan G Komen affiliates..." This year, there are events being held in New Jersey, Vermont, Utah, Oregon, and Frisco, Colorado.

I'm sure you know that cancer is something that affects nearly every one of us. A friend of mine lost her battle against a rare form of cancer this past September; she was only 25. Shawn's father lost his battle against cancer in March of 2005. My grandmother lost her battle with breast cancer when my mom was only 27. Fortunately, I also know lots of people who have fought cancer and won. My father defeated cancer when I was a very young child, and he has dealt with skin cancer recently as well. I have friends, family, and family of friends who have faced breast cancer and beaten it. As pessimistic as this may sound, I believe that if you have not yet been personally touched in some way by cancer, it's not a matter of "if" this may happen...it's a matter of when.

Those of us who are healthy have two main things that we can do in the fight against cancer: we can raise awareness, and we can raise funds that will go toward research and toward helping people who are battling the disease. This is what the Tubbs Romp to Stomp accomplishes. On March 7, 2009, I will be participating in the event in Frisco, Colorado, along with my friends Mat and Abby. I'm excited to get out into the snow of the beautiful Rocky Mountains and to raise awareness for this great cause. I'm also excited to raise funds that will go to help women in Colorado get the support they need to fight breast cancer, and I'm excited to raise funds that will help continue important breast cancer research.

And that's where you come in. If you would like to donate to this cause, please click the link to be taken to my fundraising page: http://www.active.com/donate/RompCO/CShanno17. Every little bit helps! If you're in the Denver area and are interested in participating with us, feel free to let me know and I'll get you the info to register as a part of our team.

Thank you very much in advance!

1 comment:

Emily Ann said...

That's awesome! Jill would love it!