Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Resolution Updates

We're about 3 weeks into 2009. I thought it might be a good time to give a little report about how I've been doing with my resolutions. Granted, I said I didn't really make any...but yeah, I guess I did. There have been a few things I wanted to work on, and my determination to work on them just happened to coincide with the beginning of the year. :) So here's how I've been doing:

1. Get up earlier. It's a known fact that I love to sleep. A lot. It's one of my favorite things to do. However, I'm not a morning person. I've never been one of those people who can just jump out of bed all perky and smiling. I'm definitely a night owl, and if I had my choice, I'd happily go to bed around 2:00am and get up around 10:00am every day. However, I've decided that I really need to get more done around the apartment while Shawn is at work. And if/when I start working on a regular basis, I'll need to be in the habit of getting up at a reasonable hour. So although I'm still not getting up super early, most weekdays this year, I've managed to be out of bed before 9:00. Many days, it's even been closer to 8:00! This actually is a big deal for me. :)

2. Drink more water. Check. I haven't been keeping an actual count of glasses of water, but the fact is that I actually have been drinking some glasses of water every day. It's sad, but prior to the beginning of the year, I could occasionally go for days on end without drinking a single glass of water. More water has also had the positive secondary effect of my drinking less Diet Coke, which is also good.

3. Getting more exercise. For this one, I actually set a number. For the last 3 weeks, I have successfully managed to get some kind of exercise at least 5 times each week. Sometimes this is going for a walk around the lake near our apartment (I've even started adding some running to this!). Sometimes this is using the Wii Fit. I've been doing a good job with the 100 Push Up Program. When I started, I could do 4 push ups. Lately, I've been able to do close to 30 over a period of about 5 minutes (with some rests in between sets). I've also started doing the 200 Sit Ups Program this week. Obviously, none of these things are overly strenuous, so that's one thing I want to work on. Now that I've been getting in the habit of simply getting off the couch and doing something, pretty soon I'll start finding other things to do that will up the intensity.

Those were my major resolutions this year, and I think I've been doing a pretty good job with them so far. How are your resolutions coming? Anything you're really proud of? Any that you've given up on?

1 comment:

PurposelyVague said...

i'm with you! i loooooove to sleep! good job on your resolutions!