Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dragonfly in Amber

Dragonfly in Amber, by Diana Gabaldon, 1994. (947 pages)

Dragonfly in Amber is the second book in the Outlander series. I first heard about the series last fall, when I was chatting with girls on the Book Club board of TheNest.com. I read Outlander in February, and I absolutely loved it. Here's the post I wrote about the book then.

A large portion of Dragonfly in Amber actually takes place in France, which, for some reason, I wasn't expecting. It was still a well-written story, and this part of the plot was intriguing. However, I missed the "magic" of Scotland that was present in the first book. So I'll admit...I was thrilled when they eventually went back, even though I knew it was dangerous for them.

For much of the first book, Jamie didn't know that Claire was actually from the future (1945). However, in this book, he knows. So it's interesting to see what they choose to do (or not do) with the information that she knows from her history books.

If you haven't read the Outlander series, I highly recommend it. Just be prepared, though, for the occasional gruesome details of 18th century battle, death, and destruction. :) I'm very excited to read book #3 (Voyager). I just requested it from the library...and even though it was published in 1994, I'm number 20 on the holds list (and the library owns 7 copies of it).

****************************************************
Total number of books read in 2009: 28
Total number of pages read in 2009: 10825

No comments: