Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Thursday Thirteen #10

(This image provided by Samulli.)
I'm in a bit of a hurry this week (I should really be in bed right now), but I wanted to write and post my Thursday 13 before I forgot. I wanted to keep it simple, so I decided to go with books I want to read. However...there are a lot of books I want to read. I use Goodreads to keep track of books I've read and books I want to read. I currently have 106 books on my "to read" shelf on Goodreads, and I typically add at least a couple books to this list every week. So I had my wonderful husband give me 13 random numbers between 1 and 106, and that determined which 13 books to put on my list.

So...here are 13 Random Books on my "To Read" List:

1. The Hunchback of Notre Dame, by Victor Hugo

2. Little Earthquakes, by Jennifer Weiner

3. The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets, by Eva Rice

4. The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho

5. Rose House: a Novel, by Tina Ann Forkner

6. Into the Wild, by John Krakauer

7. Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster, by John Krakauer

8. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, by Michael Chabon

9. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: a Novel, by Lisa See

10. Marcelo in the Real World, by Francisco X. Stork

11. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, by Jamie Ford
(*I'm actually currently #126 on the holds list for this one. That's down from #157.)

12. Perestroika, by J.L. Willis

13. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson

Like I said, this is just a very small sampling of the books on my list. Have you read any of these? Do you have any recommendations for me that I should add to my ever-growing list of books that I should read?

12 comments:

Nicholas said...

I did a TBR TT this week too, though I think your list is far more intellectual than mine!

marcia@joyismygoal said...

I read the Alchemist recently I was surprised at the Amazing discussion in our book group Loved it!!

Journeywoman said...

I enjoyed Little Earthquakes, but I really enjoyed Into Thin Air. Be warned, you'll look up from it and think you're ON Everest!

Barbara H. said...

I haven't read any of these, but I recently finished Hugo's Les Miserables and have though about reading Hunchback some time. The unabridged Les Mis could be tedious at times, but there were moments of sheer beauty, too.

I am Harriet said...

Great choices!
Thanks

Janet said...

I loved Into the Wild...great book!

jenn said...

More books to look into...thanks!

Mia Celeste said...

I really enjoyed Snowflower and the Secret Fan.

Susan Cook said...

I haven't read any of these, but thanks for the ideas.

Happy TT!

Knopf Marketing said...

Dear fellow Stieg Larsson fan,

We’re trying something new for the launch of the second book in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series.
Run your own Stieg Larsson contest on your blog—for which we will provide the prizes (a free copy of The Girl Who Played with Fire, cool temporary dragon tattoos). The first thirty (30) entrants will get first dibs of the translated manuscript of book three. Below you’ll find the complete rules and regulations.

Click here for contest entry
http://knopfdoubleday.com/blogger-contest-stieg-larsson

Visit the Stieg Larsson site for more info
stieglarsson.net

Friend Lisbeth on Facebook
facebook.com/salander1

Follow us on Twitter
twitter.com/aaknopf

RULES & REGULATIONS
The first 250 bloggers to enter their information (name, blog name, blog URL mailing address, and daytime phone number) will obtain the giveaway material (one (1) copy of The Girl who Played with Fire and a batch of temporary tattoos) to host a sweepstakes on their blog. The first 30 bloggers to enter will also receive (1) copy of the manuscript of the third Stieg Larsson thriller at the time of its in-house release. All applications to participate will have to be received by 11:59 pm (Eastern Daylight Time) on August 15, 2009. U.S. Residents only. Bloggers are solely responsible for the administration of the sweepstakes on their blogs.

Thanks,
The A.A. Knopf Marketing Team

Knopf Marketing said...

Contest URL was cut off:
http://knopfdoubleday.com/blogger-contest-stieg-larsson

Knopf Marketing said...

The URL should have larsson after that last hyphen.