Sunday, May 17, 2009

Job Update

Wow...I've been a bad blogger lately! Sorry about that. I was a little busy last week, trying to get things graded in time to do mid-quarter reports last Friday.

The sub job has been going pretty well. For the most part, I'm enjoying it. Right now, we're doing Romeo and Juliet, which I really do enjoy teaching. I've also done it enough times that I don't really need to spend lots of time preparing for any given lesson. I always enjoy seeing the change in kids' perceptions of the play. When I first tell them we're going to read Shakespeare, they usually whine and complain. They assume it's going to be too hard, and many of them worry that this famous love story is going to be too sappy. I enjoy watching them realize that A) they can understand Shakespeare's words if I help them a little, and B) there's a lot more to the play than just a sappy love story.

I do have a handful of students who drive me nuts just about every day. I'm trying to figure out what I can possibly do about them, but I'm at the point now where I think I might just have to put up with them for the next few weeks. Originally, my job was supposed to be over on May 29th...so just two more weeks. However, the teacher I'm subbing for (her name is Meg) asked me a little while ago if I'd be okay with extending the job. Basically, Meg suddenly realized that she has some childcare issues (namely, her arranged childcare fell through). Personally, I'm thinking that she just doesn't want to have to be away from her baby yet. :) Regardless, she was able to talk the HR department into giving her two more weeks off, so I'll now be there until June 12th. Meg will actually come back on June 12th, too, so we'll have one day at school together to figure out how to transition easily. Basically, I'll be more or less finishing out the school year; the kids are done June 19th. Meg will just have to keep the kids busy for one week and submit their final grades. I was looking forward to being done at the end of May, but honestly, I didn't have a good reason to say no to two extra weeks, and it will be a good little chunk of extra money I wasn't expecting.

So...that's where I stand with the job. Because of budget cuts, I sincerely doubt that I'll be able to find a full-time job for next year, but I'll be applying for whatever I find (including some part-time jobs and some online-teaching jobs). We'll see what happens.

Oh, and we did have a wonderful weekend this weekend, so I'll post some pictures and stories in the next day or two!

No comments: