Friday, May 22, 2009

Eat, Pray, Love

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, 2006 (331 pages)

I have no idea why it took me so long to read this book! I feel like I've been reading it forever (when, in fact, it's only been about 2 weeks...which I guess is long for me these days). I had heard a lot about it over the last couple years, and I finally decided to give in and try it.

The author, Elizabeth Gilbert, spent a year traveling, and she describes her experiences in this book. The subtitle is actually "One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India, and Indonesia." After going through a very painful divorce (and a few other things in her life), she literally spent four months in each of these countries. Therefore, the book is divided up into 3 sections, one for each country.

My favorite section was the first one, Italy. This is probably because I've been to Italy (and love it), so I could more easily relate to the cultural things she was experiencing and writing about. When she was in India, she lived at an Ashram, studying yoga and meditation. I wasn't sure I'd relate to that section because of religious views, but I was pleasantly surprised to see how often she incorporated Christian (and often specifically Catholic) ideas in her meditation and in her writing. When she went to Indonesia, she quickly was able to find a town she had visited before, and it was very interesting to learn about the Balinese culture and society.

Overall, I liked the book. I know some people who have said that this is one of their all-time favorite books, but I definitely wouldn't rate it that high. It was nice to read a little non-fiction for a change...especially to read a book that incorporated travel and other cultures. Although I certainly didn't find it life-changing, I would say that it's worth reading.

***********************************************
Total number of books read in 2009: 24
Total number of pages read in 2009: 8785

1 comment:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I agree that Italy was the best section. I really didn't like the rest of the book. I was expecting more, but I think it just depends what stage of life you are in too.