Saturday, February 28, 2009

In Her Shoes

In Her Shoes, by Jennifer Weiner, 2002. (421 pp.)

I thought it was time to pick up a silly little chick lit book, so this is one that I grabbed at the library last week. I try not to expect too much from these books, since they're normally just entertaining fluff.

On my goodreads review, I said that I would give this book 2.5 stars if I could. (Goodreads only allows full stars to be given...so I gave it 2 stars on there.) It was relatively entertaining, which is what I would looking for. However, the characters seemed rather unbelievable, and I couldn't really understand their reactions to some things that happened. I felt like the author spent a lot of time building up a certain problem (that had been going on for years in these characters' lives), and then it seemed to be solved with very little effort and in the matter of just a couple dozen pages. The two main characters are sisters who are very different from each other. Based on the title of the book, I figured that these girls would eventually learn to see her sister's life from the other perspective...walk "in her shoes" for a little while to gain greater understanding. But no...they literally wore each others' shoes on occasion, but that's about it.

So if you're looking for light, entertaining fluff, you could do worse than this book. But don't pick it up hoping to be enlightened in any way.

**********************************************

Total number of books read in 2009: 11

Total number of pages read in 2009: 5088

No comments: