Friday, September 11, 2009

First Days in Maui

I realized that I never got around to blogging about our Colorado vacation, and I want to make sure the same thing doesn't happen with the Maui trip! So I'm going to do my best to buckle down and write some posts. Part of my delay has been pictures....we currently have approximately 1,363 photos on the memory card. That's a lot of pictures to go through when I'm trying to pick which ones I should post on here!

So...let's begin. Shawn and I flew to Maui last Monday. We had a direct flight from Seattle to Maui, which was great! They even fed us lunch on the plane, which is practically unheard of these days. We stayed in a beachfront condo in Kihei, which is a town on the south side of Maui. See? Right there. The airport is in Kahului, on the north side, but it's really only about a 15 minute drive to Kihei from there.
Once we arrived in Kihei, we decided just to relax for the rest of the day. I don't even think we went swimming that day! We just got ourselves settled in and went out for dinner. Right across the street from our condo was a restaurant called Moose McGillicuddy's. I wouldn't exactly say that it was "traditional" Hawaiian fare, and yet they definitely had some things on the menu that you probably won't find around here. I'm embarrassed to say how many times we walked over there for food in the week we were in Maui...so let's just say that I even had the opportunity to try quite a few things from the menu (like Kalua pig, and chicken breaded in coconut and macadamia nut).

On Tuesday, we also just stayed around the condo. This was our first big beach time, and it was wonderful. Shawn figured out that there's pretty decent snorkeling right off the beach, so he spent quite a bit of time doing that (while I hung out in the sun, reading and relaxing).

I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to stay in a beachfront condo! If you ever have the chance, you need to do it. It was nice to have beach access by just taking an elevator downstairs and walking around the pool area. It was also really great to be able to just hang out on our balcony and have perfect views of the ocean and the sunsets, and to hear the waves crashing anytime of day (or night!).

Here are some pictures from those first two days!

No comments: