Friday, March 26, 2010

Diggin'

I told Shawn once that I thought that perhaps Satchel is part cat.  Not only does he love snuggling with us, but he seems to dislike getting wet and dirty.  If we have to walk somewhere that's wet or muddy, he follows me...trying to tiptoe around the super muddy parts.  Unlike a lot of dogs, he doesn't seem to have any desire to roll around in the dirt, and he will walk around puddles instead of walking right through them.

In our side yard, we have a downspout that will need to be redirected this summer.  After a rainy day (which is a lot of days in this area!), we end up with standing water in part of our yard. 

Satchel has recently discovered this.  I've found him pawing gently at the water, trying to figure out what's going on.  I've also found him drinking from the water after he's been playing for awhile.  He has also pawed at the mud a bit, but I wouldn't call it digging.

Until today. 

I wasn't exactly sure where he was in the backyard, so I called him to come...and he obediently came running up the steps, onto the deck.  Where I saw this:
He had the sweetest little innocent look on his face...like there was absolutely nothing unusual about all the mud covering his paws.  And then he got to play with the towel while I got the mud off of him before letting him back inside.

Definitely not part cat.

No comments: